This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
The Colca Canyon is one of the most under-rated hikes in South America. Overshadowed by treks to Machu Picchu, this Peruvian hike is never high on any itinerary, until travellers make it to Peru and hear how rewarding the 2/3 days hike is. Fancy swimming and then sleeping in a canyon? You can in Peru, here’s the Colca Canyon trek packing list.
Colca Canyon Trek Packing List
Since you are the one responsible for carrying your bags (no donkeys like the Inca), a small day pack will suffice.
- 3 x vest tops
- 1 x cardigan
- 1 x thin jumper (bed wear)
- 1 x shorts
- 1 x leggings (very cold at night)
- 1 x bra (didn’t need sports bra)
- 3 x pants
- 3 x socks (didn’t wear hiking socks)
- 1 x bikini (pool on day 2/hot springs day 3)
- 1 x raincoat (my beloved Marmot, a downpour on day 2)
- 1 x rain poncho (folded and attached to bag)
- 1 x walking shoes (Salomon)
- 1 x flip flops (give feet a rest at night/good for showering)
- 1x three quarter length shorts
- 2 x vest tops
- 1 x denim shirt
- 1 x swim shorts
- 2 x boxer shorts (yuck!)
- 4 x socks (this boy can’t pack)
Read more | Best travel pants for men
- Face wash (didn’t end up washing face!)
- Deodorant (1 x stick/1 x small spray)
- Dry shampoo
- Travel hairspray
- Hair bobble and kirby grips/bobby pins
- Sunscreen lotion (vital)
- DEET or Avon Skin So Soft US / UK
- Baby wipes
- Painkillers (headaches with altitude)
- Malaria tablets (if taking)
- Hydration tablets
- Water filter bottle (you can read our review here)
- Battery packs like this US / UK to keep camera and phones charged
- Travel notebook & pen
- Bandana (Craig)
- We hired towels (3-5 soles each)
- Plastic bags for rubbish/wet clothes
- Cereal bars (one box)
- Bananas (green ones ripen in one day)
- Coca sweets (done thing in Peru!)
There are plenty of ‘shops’ on the way over (day one and two only) aka local women that sell fruit and drinks (aqua/water ranges from 3 to 8 soles). Some of the shops sell sweets like Snickers etc. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are filling but you need snacks to keep you going. I’d quite happily not eat a cereal bar again!
What We Wished We Had Packed
- Craig regretted not bringing flip-flops
- I wish I had a large scarf to double up as a blanket for the bus (I’m always cold)
Pin to your Peru board!
6 thoughts on “Colca Canyon Trek Packing List”
Good God it’d have been awesome to take that scarf for bus trips. I recall being frozen it seems at night in Cusco. Daytime we’re talking 75 F, nighttime, 31 F, below freezing. By noon the next day things heated up with the sun but before then, I froze in my apartment.
Tweeting from Bali.
I am tempted to buy one of those padded coats everyone rocks! We’ve now booked up for Colombia after Bolivia, hoping for sun…
I was looking information about what to take on my bag for hiking in Perou, when i found you blog !
Thanks for sharing your experience, they will help me to carry mi bag 🙂
No problem, glad we could help!
Hi Gemma, I realy love hiking. So, happy to see those helpful list on what to pack. Thanks…
Cheers Agness, I recommend the Colca Canyon if you are in Sout Am at any point!