This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
In 2014, Craig and I, Gemma, you can read more about us here, started planning an 18-month career break to travel the Americas and Europe. My friend, Andy, suggested I started my own travel blog to share the adventure which was laughable because I am not the most tech-savvy.
For example, I was still using floppy discs at uni when everyone was on to pen drives!
Nonetheless, I started to study other websites and thought, why not? Thus Two Scots Abroad was introduced to the world.
In August 2016, I went back to full-time high school teaching for one year, then I reduced my hours to three days to work on this travel blog and now?
I’ve quit teaching! I’m my own boss, it is make it or break it time.
The first question people ask about blogging?
How to do bloggers make money? Watch this video to find out ↓
So How Do You Make Money From Blogging?
One word – mindset.
Anyone that is self-employed will know that you have to think business for a plan to work; that and multiple income streams!
My income is made up of a variety of sources such as:
- Adverts on Two Scots Abroad.
- Affiliate links – a small amount of commission on the products and services we recommend.
- Press trips – we don’t do campaigns often because they can be exhausting and entail a lot of active work. I know the thought of travelling the world for free sounds exciting but it doesn’t pay the bills!
- Conferences and workshops – I’ve not fully quit teaching, I’ve just switched my audience. I also co-owned a company called Make Traffic Happen which helped bloggers gain more traffic to their websites through e-books and courses. My business partner, Laura Lynch, and I hosted SEO Bootcamp workshops in London and Edinburgh. We also presented at TBEX, Traverse, Edinburgh Blogger Conference and Borderless Live.
Looking for a speaker with just under ten years of teaching experience to discuss digital content creation, working with bloggers, as I did at the Fife Tourism Conference, anything travel or search engine optimisation related?
Email me at gemma[at]twoscotsabroad[dot]com.
You can read more about our why I don’t work for free here which explains my workflow.
How Can You help?
Usually, the second question after ‘how do you make money’ is, ‘how can we help you’ and I really appreciate that. Obviously continuing to read our articles [with ads] and booking services/buying products we recommend helps but you could also…
» share our stuff «
If you found a travel guide useful, a product review informative or a personal story intriguing share it with your friends and social media followers.
Same goes for our Facebook posts and Tweets. If you like them, help spread the word. This not only gets more eyes on Two Scots Abroad but also tackles the annoying algorithms.
I’m really excited about this change. It is a risk and I would not be able to do it without the support of Craig and you.
So… you can expect an increase in travel inspiration from me!
» Never miss a post – sign up for her newsletter, it’s monthly «
Gemma [+ Craig]
Follow us on:
You may also like:
- 12 tips to help you work for home successfully
- Games to play on conference calls
- How to start a blog