This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
These warm places to visit in December in USA will help you beat the winter blues. Whether it’s a domestic or international trip for you, heading toward warm winter destinations can be just the escape we all need.
Are you surprised at the warmest place in US in December? Let us know in the comments.
Warm Places to Visit in December in USA
The US is an enormous country, so there are, of course, wide variations in climate.
Generally speaking, the southern and western states offer warmer winters than the rest of the country.
Within those regions, however, no place is a scorcher.
That said, you can certainly enjoy t-shirt weather in some places and comfortable outdoor temperatures in plenty!
The trick here is to go beyond the continental US if you want a really warm December vacation.
Think: Island Life!
If some members of your travel party aren’t too fussed about the weather, check out our guide to the best places in the US to visit in December for ski resorts, holiday shopping and chocolate box villages.
Best Places to Visit in December in USA by State
1) Honolulu, Hawaii
Honolulu (Oahu) is ideal for enjoying Hawaii’s foodie scene while enjoying the holiday festivities, including the Honolulu City Lights.
The Honolulu City Lights festival kicks off at the start of December for a month-long calendar of festivities including traditional tree lighting, parades and lots of family-friendly fun.
Honolulu is a perfect winter vacation for those looking to catch some rays but not miss out on the festive atmosphere!
Including the lights festival, there are weeks worth of attractions in Honolulu.
Temperatures range from 67F-82F.
Things to do in Honolulu
- Of course, check out Honolulu City Lights
- Stroll the Chinatown Winter Walk all December
- Run it all off before the holiday feasts at the Honolulu Marathon
- Support local artists and artisans at the Ko’olina Artfest
- Enjoy the Very Merry Holiday Pops from the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra
- Get out to Waimea Beach to watch the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational
- Marvel at the Victoria Ward Garden Lights
- Visit the Bishop Museum
- See pieces at the Museum of Art
- Check out the former residence of the Hawaiian monarchs at Iolani Palace
- Chill out at Waikiki on the south shore
- Take a helicopter ride for a once in a lifetime experience
- Hit the shops at Kalakaua Avenue
- Pay homage to the Duke Kahanamoku Statue, the father of surfing
- Learn some history at the Waikiki Historical Trail
- Dine in the Kapahulu neighborhood
- Be in awe at the panoramic view of Honolulu from Leahi (Diamond Head)
- Hike to the beginner hiker and pet-friendly Makapuu Lighthouse
- Grab a pocket of sand at Makapuʻu Beach
- Avoid the crowds, head to Kaiona Beach Park
If you want to see many of the island highlights without driving, consider this all inclusive day tour with hotel pick up.
Things to Eat in Hawaii
- Hawaiian plate lunch – affordable meat, fish and rice
- Shaved ice – made from fresh fruit
- Poke – super popular in cities around the world, fresh fish in Hawaii
- Spam – yes, you read that right! Give spam musubi a try
When you make new friends in Honolulu, don’t forget to say Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas)!
Where to Stay in Honolulu
- For couples: The Kahala Hotel and Resort (Expedia/Booking) with its private beach and no resort fees
- For large groups: Aston Waikiki Beach Tower (Expedia/Booking) condo with suites and views
Our guide to the best winter getaways in the US features a variety of locations in Hawaii so here is a map to help get your bearings.
2) Oahu, Hawaii
While Honolulu is the biggest city on the island of Oahu, there are other areas and attractions to consider.
Oahu is a unique December US destination for a heavy reason: Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on December 7th.
There’s a parade and plenty to take in at the museum and memorial. If you plan to visit the USS Arizona Memorial Visit you must reserve a timed entry.
If you require accommodation pick up check out this small group tour.
Beyond that day, Oahu is ideal for surfers! The Vans Triple Crown of Surfing happens annually in December.
Plan for temperatures ranging from 66F-79F.
Things to do in Oahu
- Hire a kayak at Kailua Beach
- Dive into the North Shore snorkeling tour
- Take a ATV tour at Kualoa Ranch
- Hike the uphill, and often muddy, trails of Hauʻula Loop Trail
- Watch the surfers at Banzai Pipeline
- Spot the turtles at Mokulē’ia Beach Park
Where to Stay in Oahu
- See Honolulu above
Oahu also features in our guide to the best islands to visit in December.
3) Kauai, Hawaii
Kauai is known as the Garden Isle, so it’s perfect for those seeking outdoor adventure.
It’s also the start of the season to spot humpback whales on their migratory path.
You may recognize some of Kauai’s stunning locations because they have featured in Hollywood greats such as King Kong (Kalalau Valley on the Napali Coast) and Jurassic Park (Napali Coast and Manawaiopuna Falls)!
Hiking fans will want to spend time in Napali Coast State Wilderness Park (image below) to hike through five valleys during the Kalalau Trail.
Visitors love Kauai’s plant life; Hanakoa Valley, in particular, has native plants and old agricultural terraces.
Temperatures sit at around 55F-72F.
Things to do in Kauai
- Go kayaking the 20-mile-long Wailua River
- Cool down at Opaekaa Falls and Wailua Falls
- Enjoy a guided tour of Fern Grotto
- Spot the Sleeping Giant at Nounou Mountain range
- Snorkel on Poipu Beach
- Hike Kokee State Park
- Daredevils! You can go ziplining above Kauai
- Trek the 45 miles of Kokee State Park
Where to Stay in Kauai
- For couples: Hanalei Colony Resort (Expedia/Booking) with its private lanai for relaxation
- For groups: Hale Kailea TVNC #4241 (Booking) has 3 bedrooms, patio, AC and cable TV for max comfort
Note: historically, Kauai and the North Shore of Oahu typically see a lot of rain during December and flash flood warnings.
4) Maui, Hawaii
Visit Maui for its famous beaches and the chance to see whales!
Maui’s December temperatures range from a pleasant 56F to 72F, so you can still hike while enjoying the warm weather.
Like the islands above, December is one of the wettest seasons, but visitors still love it, especially since it is the start of whale watching season.
Things to do in Maui
- Take a ride along the Hana coast to see black sand beaches and waterfalls
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll along 3.5 mile Wailea Beach Path (image) and look out for whales in the ocean
- Visit Hamoa Beach, a small patch of sand with stunning views
- Enjoy whale watching on a double-deck power catamaran
- Head inland to hike active volcanoes at Haleakala National Park
Read our guide free things to do in Maui for budget-saving tips!
Where to Stay in Maui
- For couples: the stunning Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger (Expedia/Booking)
- For groups: amazing 2-bed lodge (Booking) on Haiku on Maui’s north shore
If December prices are too steep, consider another season. Maui features in our guide to the best places to visit in the US in September.
For more beach destinations to visit in December, check out this guide.
5) St. Augustine, Florida
St. Augustine is a great winter location for those who are interested in warm weather on the beach and tons of historical sights to visit.
Located on the Northeast coast of Florida, St. Augustine is the oldest city in the United States and is filled with Spanish colonial architecture.
The old-world architecture makes St. Augustine feel more like the Spanish coast rather than Florida. Castillo de San Marcos is a national monument from 17th-century Spanish colonialism and is the only European castle still standing in the United States.
St. Augustine is the perfect location for those who enjoy hiking and exploring historic sights. Walking tours are available all around the city and provide guests with the opportunity to explore America’s oldest city.
Throughout the winter months, temperatures average between 50 – 70F.
Things to do in St. Augustine
- Take a Holly Jolly Trolley Tour of the historic downtown St. Augustine
- See over 3 million sparkling white lights around the city during the Night of Lights
- Check out the lights from the water during this festive boat tour
- Sip seasonal drinks like pumpkin spice boozy milkshakes on St George Street
- Go dolphin and manatee sighting on a paddleboard off of the coast
- Take the walking ghost tour of St. Augustine to see the oldest city’s most haunted places
- Visit one of the historic museums like the Lightner Museum or the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime Museum
- Day trip to St Augustine or Crescent Beach
We spent three nights in St. Augustine and could have stayed longer.
Where to stay in St. Augustine
- For Couples: Ocean Sands Beach Inn & Spa (Expedia/Booking) at St. Augustine Beach
- For Families: Southern Oaks Inn (Expedia/Booking) in the city
6) Flagler Beach, Florida
Flagler Beach is a small city beach with a long stretch of public access sand, a pier, and shops across the road from the ocean.
Temperatures range from 51 – 69F
Things to do at Flagler Beach
- Sunbathe on the golden sand
- Watch the surfers attempt to catch a wave
- Join in the First Friday festive events
- Enjoy a seasonal beer at one of the bars with decks
- Learn more about the area at the musuem
7) Daytona Beach, Florida
Daytona is known for its family-friendly beach also known as ‘World’s Most Famous Beach’ and Daytona 500, the 500-mile-long NASCAR Cup Series motor race held annually at Daytona International Speedway.
Temperatures range from 53 – 71F.
Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Dine and drink at the Ocean Walk Shoppes
- Watch live shows at the Daytona Beach Bandshell
- Play games like skee ball at Mardis Gras on the boardwalk
- Look out for manatees during this kayak tour
- Make a splash at Daytona Lagoon
8) Orlando, Florida
Orlando is an obvious one, right? Visit Orlando in December for the most magical of experiences: Walt Disney World itself.
From November to the start of December, crowds are smaller than in summertime so if you’re looking to experience WDW with fewer people, plan for then.
See Santa make his rounds at WDW four parks and Disney Springs from the second week in November.
Eat your way around the world at the Epcot International Festival of the Holidays.
Temperatures are around 63F and can drop to 50F in December so remember to pack layers.
Things to do in Orlando
- Walk the wintery streets of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios
- Check out Grinchmas at Islands of Adventure
- Visit Kennedy Space Center
- Dine at International Drive
- Go ice-skating at Funtania Family Fun Center
- Hop on the i-Drive trollies to get from one end to the other
- Soar high at i-Fly, the indoor skydiving center
- Check out the Christmas tree exhibits at the Orlando Art Museum
- Enter the sunken house of Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
- Enjoy more rides at Kissimmee’s Fun Spot
- See the sheltering manatees on a kayak tour
What to Eat in Florida
- Fresh seafood
- Shrimp BBQ
- Key Lime Pie
- Butterbeer at Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Where to Stay in Orlando
- For couples: Avanti International Resort (Expedia/Booking, large modern rooms with outdoor pool and theme park shuttle
- For families: Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort (Expedia/Booking), affordable resort near Disney Springs
9) Celebration, Florida
Who else would magic up a town that snows every night in winter in Florida?
Walt Disney of course!
Celebration was once the creation of Disney and today it is a small community in the suburbs of Orlando.
Things to do in Celebration
- Experience snow in Florida at Nightly Snow, every night on Market Street
- Glide along the Endless Ice Skating Rink
- Take a ride on the Celebration Express Train
- Park close to and walk down Jeater Bend Drive to see the house decorations
We spent a late afternoon into evening at Celebration and that was enough time to sample the festivities in December!
10) Cocoa and Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach is a cool spot to visit if looking for a warm US vacation in December because it is close to Cape Canaveral which means if there is a launch, you might just see it!
The city of Cocoa itself has enough going on to keep you entertained even if there is no activity at NASA!
Temperatures come in at around 60 – 73F.
Note: it takes around 20 minutes to drive between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach and there are a handful of beaches on Cocoa Beach.
We stayed in Cocoa and traveled to the beach, it really depends on whether you want to sand or city on your doorstep!
Things to do at Cocoa and Cocoa Beach
- Hire chairs and soak up the sun at Cocoa Beach or take your own for Cherie Down Park
- Sample the breweries (Bugnutty and Dirty Oar) or the wine bar in town
- Holiday shop at Parrots Cove vintage store
- Catch a winter show at The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse
- Be wowed by the bioluminescence during this kayak tour – a bucket list item for me
11) Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter is one of the loveliest towns on Florida’s east coast.
Home to Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, beaches, and local business, this is an ideal warm US winter location for those looking for a quiet vacation.
Temperatures range from 62-77F.
Things to do in Jupiter
- Visit Jupiter Lighthouse and grounds
- Al fresco dining at PapiChulo in Tequesta
- Enjoy the slow pace of Dubois Park
- Hit the beach at neighboring Juno Beach
Absolutely loved this wee town!
12) West Palm Beach, Florida
Take advantage of big city life close to a beach at West Palm Beach.
Shop, dine, see a show or live act then nurse the hangover on Palm Beach.
Temperatures come in at round 60 – 76F.
Note: It takes around 20 minutes to drive between West Palm Beach and Palm Beach.
Things to do at West Palm Beach
- Holiday shop at locally owned stores such as Day by Day and Diane’s in Northwood Village
- Dine and drink at Downtown’s Clematis Street
- Join this food tour to learn more about the city’s culture through snacks
- Appreciate the murals at the Artist’s Block
- Catch a beat at the chairs at the upmarket, leafy Rosemary Square
- See at Christmas show at Harriet Himmel Theater or improv at Palm Beach Improv Comedy Club
13) Lauerdale-By-The-Sea, Florida
If a lively waterfront is more you scene, consider Lauderdale-By-The-Sea.
Temperatures ranges from 64 – 78F.
Things to do at Lauderdale-By-The-Sea
- Day drink at Arubas by the beach
- Or along Commercial Blvd
- Hit the shops at Los Olas in Forth Lauderdale
14) Miami, Florida
Miami is the hottest city in the USA in December, clocking average highs of 78.
With its endless summer vibes, Miami is perfect for your US winter escape.
Miami Beach hosts Art Basel, an annual art and design festival. If you’re hoping to rub elbows with the glitterati, you won’t want to miss this.
ArtBasel takes place during Miami Art Week so there is plenty of to do if yoy love art.
Popular stretches of sand include South Beach (below).
Miami is one of the best holiday destinations in December if you like a beach/city fusion.
Things to do in Miami
- Explore NightGarden at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Check out Luminosa! the Chinese Lantern Festival at Jungle Island
- Head to Miami Beach for Art Basel or stay in the city for Miami Art
- Shop the Christmas markets for those last-minute gifts
- Drink Christmas spirit at a festive bar like Gramps in Wynwood
- Stick around for the bizarre King Mango Strut Parade
- Visit the 1920s Deering Estate for historic holiday events
- Take the little ones to Santa’s Enchanted Forest
- See breathtaking views of Miami from above with this parasailing trip
- From Hobie to Homestead, a beach for every kind of visitor in Miami
- Visit the National Historic Landmark, Vizcaya Museum
- Experience an oasis at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Miami also features in our guide the best US bachelorette destinations.
We love this city and are blessed to have friends who live in Coconut Grove.
What to Eat
- Cuban sandwich
- Crack stone crab
- Alligator Bites
- Miami Vice cocktail
Where to Stay in Miami
- For couples: Marseilles Beachfront Hotel (Expedia/Booking) Art Deco boutique hotel with pool cabanas
- For families: The Betsy Hotel, South Beach (Expedia/Booking), hotel on Ocean Drive, kids love the pool
15) Key West, Florida
Average high temps of 76F… it really doesn’t get much more perfect than that!
This is one of the warm places to visit in December in USA if you ask me.
Add in the palm trees, bicycle rides, and literary history of Key West, and you might actually think you’re in heaven.
Key West bars and restaurants attract a lovely crowd, so if you’re social, this may be the US winter destination for you.
Duval Street is the heart of downtown and where you will find some of the best Key West attractions, including live music, museums, and Audubon House.
President Harry Truman enjoyed a vacation to Key West so much that he stayed for over 100 days over 11 trips. You can see his Little Whitehouse in Old Town.
Things to do in Key West
- Visit the Southernmost Point in Continental USA
- 2-stop snorkel tour
- Dine and drink on the party street, Duval Street
- Visit Audubon House’s beautiful gardens
- Join in the nightly ‘Sunset Celebrations’ at Mallory Square
- Or see the sunset from the sea during this cruise
- Eat Key Lime Pie
- Watch the Conch Drop or Red Show Drop on New Year’s Eve
Where to Stay in Key West
- For couples: Havana Cabana at Key West (Expedia/Booking, spacious rooms, popular swimming pool
- For groups: Sweet Pea Cottage (Expedia/Booking) stylish 3-bedroom with porch
Although Key West is one of the best winter sun destinations in December, it also features in our January vacations guide, for the temps
16) Marco Island, Florida
For those looking for a sandy beach getaway in the middle of winter, Marco Island is a perfect choice.
Located on the west coast of Florida right on the Gulf of Mexico, Marco Island features four miles of ocean-front beaches.
Marco Island is also a great option for nature lovers. With thousands of smaller islands close, Marco Island offers many options for nature hikes and exploration.
The average winter temperatures in Marco Island are 60 – 80 F.
Things to do in Marco Island
- See Historic Palm Cottage & The Norris Gardens decorated
- Enjoy the tree lighting and snow show at Third St
- Kayak the ten thousand Islands
- Go dolphin spotting
- Keep an eye out for the Burrowing Owls (Athene cunicularia floridana) at Marco Island!
- Get the best shells during this cruise
- Explore the Everglades National Park
- See fire dancers perform on the beach
- Attend the Marco Island Seafood and Music Festival
Where to Stay in Marco Island
- For Couples: Holiday Inn Club Vacations Sunset Cove Resort (Expedia/Booking)
- For Families: Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa (Expedia/Booking)
17) Naples, Florida
Sticking to the warm Gulf of Mexico destinations in Florida, Naples (Nay-pills) in the southwest goes wild for Christmas activity!
From parades to outside movies, OTT decor to fake snow, Naples should be on every festive fans bucket list.
Temperatures come in at lows 59F and highs 76F.
Things to do in Naples
- Walk along Third Street to admire the architecture and Christmas decor
- Look out for a white surprise falling from the sky, sno joke!
- Dine al fresco beside the warm heaters at night
- Holiday shop for the kids at the famous Beth Moné Children’s Shoppe
- Plan your visit for the Fifth Avenue Christmas parade
- Be wowed by hotel decorations in Naples like the Ritz Carlton gingerbread house
- Catch a festive movie on the lawn of the Mercato
- Visit Palm Cottage, Naples oldest house, for cute holiday decorations
- Drive through Victoria Park to see amazing house decorations
- See the twinkling lights and exhibits of the Botanical Gardens
- Watch the Christmas Boat Parade
- Buy local at the Naples Farmers’ Market
Naples also features in our guide to free things to do in Southwest Florida.
18) Siesta Key, Florida
Visit American’s number one beach, Siesta Key, to feel quartz sand between your toes!
Temperatures range from 54-74 F so you won’t see many locals sunbathing which means more room for tourists.
Things to do at Siesta Key
- Take a leisurely stroll along the beach to Siesta Key Village, leaving access 7 to enter the town
- Drink and dine at the village
- Watch the kamikaze birds dive into the ocean for fish
- Day trip to Longboat Key for another small beach and Sarasota for city life
Adored Siesta Key, very impressed by its beach!
19) Anna Maria Island, Florida
Anna Maria Island (AMI) is located on Florida’s Gulf Coast and to get there you drive over a bridge from Longboat Key.
Popular locations on the island include City of Anna Maria, Bradenton Beach, and Holmes Beach.
Winter is the coolest month but also the driest with temperatures around from 55F to 74F.
AMI is one of the warm places to visit in December in USA if you want a chilled out festive break in a less built up area compared to the likes of Orlando.
Things to do in Anna Maria Island
- Grab a festive hot chocolate at Back Alley Treasures, Bradenton Beach
- Head to the water to watch the annual Bradenton Beach Holiday Lighted Boat Parade
- Check out the lights and hand-placed Christmas ornaments on Bridge Street
- Have a beach day at Coquina Beach, Bean Point Beach, or Matinee Beach
- Get lost among the trees at Lido Key Preserve
- Holiday shop along Anna Maria’s Pine Avenue
- Visit Anna Maria Island Historical Society Museum for a 1920 cottage and jail!
Where to Stay in Anna Maria Island
- For Couples: Cedar Cove is a cute cottage located at Holmes Beach
- For Families: Beach Bungalow is a 2-bed lodging at Bradenton Beach
20) Crystal River, Florida
Crystal River, Florida, is known for its eponymous National Wildlife Refuge devoted to protecting manatees.
If you’ve ever dreamt of seeing these sea cows in real life, Crystal River is the place to visit in December.
When water temperatures in the Gulf Of Mexico drop below 62.2 degrees Fahrenheit, the S Fish & Wildlife Services (USFWS) closes Three Sisters Springs aka Idiot’s Delight, to protect the manatees which means you can’t go swimming but you can see these wonderful mammals!
This is a life bucket list!
Since the days are cooler, with average high temperatures of 70F, the crowds are fewer.
Things to do in Crystal River
- Take an observation tour of manatees where you float next to the beautiful beasts
- Kayak or paddleboard near Three Sisters Springs
- Go swimming, the water is part of the Outstanding Florida Waterway
- Cycle the 46 miles of Withlacoochee State Trail
- Learn about native history at Crystal River Archaeological State Park
- Have a drink at KC Wine, St John’s Tavern, and Nortons in town
- Drive to Cramps for waterfront drinks and festive decor
- Pick up fresh fruit and milkshake from Ferris Groves
Where to Stay at Crystal River
- For groups and families: Spacious vacation home with own dock, houses up to six adults
21) Tampa, Florida
Tampa is a fun city for those who like riverwalk views, lively bars, sports games, and food.
Daily temperatures rarely fall below 60F in December, and highs can reach 76F.
Temperatures do decline as the month goes on, so aim for early December if you prefer a hotter trip.
St Petersburg, Tampa and Clearwater all connect to create The Tampa Bay area, Florida’s Tri-City.
Things to do in Tampa
- Check out the Christmas decorations at the H.B. Plant Museum
- Watch the annual Lighted Boat Parade along the Hillsborough River in Downtown Tampa
- Tour the festive trees at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park
- Ice skate in the sun at Tampa’s Winter Village at Curtis Hixon Park
- Watch a holiday classic at the Tampa Theater
- Visit Tampa Museum of Art, which has been established since 1920
- Chill out among the Christmas and Hanukkah decor at at Sparkman Warf
- Dine and shop at the unique Ybor City, buy local cigars as gifts
- Or join this food tour of Ybor
- Brewery hop in Tampa Heights
- Play games and eat at the cool Armature Works
- Holiday shop at the upmarket Hyde Park Village
- Day trip to rated beaches such as St Pete
22) St. Petersburg, Florida
This is one of the few warm places to visit in December in USA where you might actually swim!
St. Pete is on Florida’s Gulf Coast, where water temperatures average 69F, which is pretty sweet for the festive season although locals would say this is cold.
Locals often prefer St. Pete Beach over Clearwater for fewer crowds and more laid-back vibes.
Note: it takes around 20 minutes to drive from St Pete’s Pier to St Pete’s beach so plan accordingly.
Things to do in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Enjoy the decor at St. Pete Pier
- Lunch at the Farmers’ Market
- Go ice-skating at Enchant Christmas Market
- See the Salvador Dali Museum
- Find the award-winning ‘best beach for families’ at Fort De Soto Park
- Craft Beer Trail, called The Gulp Coast
You may also like our Florida bucket list.
Where to Stay in St. Pete
- For couples: Avalon Hotel Downtown (Expedia/Booking) retro decor, modern hotel
- For groups: modern vacation home, 3-bedroom housing up to six guests
23) Clearwater Beach, Florida
The final offering in Florida’s Tri-City is Clearwater Beach.
This is an award-winning, family-friendly warm winter destination in the US.
The temperature do drop between 60-70F though, so you won’t see many Floridians on the sand!
Things to do in Clearwater Beach
- Pack your bags for day on the white sugar sand
- Enjoy the cracking sunset over the pier or breakwater
- Hop aboard the Jolly Trolley
- Look out for Santa on the Jolly Trolley in December!
- See the tree lighting Pier 60
- Sample a Christmas cocktail with a view at Hyatt’s rooftop
- Don’t leave without seeing the dolphins in the Gulf on this cruise
You can rent support beach chairs for wheelchair users at Clearwater Beach.
Where to Stay at Clearwater Beach
- For Couples: Opal Sands (Expedia/Booking) is minutes from the beach and has an on-site restaurant
- For Families: Beach Trail Lodgings has two bedrooms, free parking, and a washing machine
24) Destin, Florida
Destin is an are area in the northwest of Florida.
The region is also known as the Panhandle which is often referred to as Florida’s Emerald Coast.
This festive location boasts of Gulf of Mexico beaches, including the popular Crab Island Beach, Destin Harbor Boardwalk, golf courses, and nature hikes.
Florida is one of the warm states in December but locals would say temperatures are a little chilly.
However, they are still warm to visitors with highs of 64F and lows 48F.
Things to do in Destin
- Review the entries of the annual Holiday Outdoor Decorating Contest
- Watch the lights twinkle at the Christmas Reflections in DeFuniak Springs
- Take part in the annual Tree Lighting at Destin Commons
- See the lit up boats at the Destin Christmas Boat Parade
- Dine and dance on a Christmas cruise
Where to Stay in Destin
- For couples: Hotel Effie Sandestin (Expedia/Booking) has great reviews, pool, and bikes for hire
- For families: Into The Blue rental has three bedrooms, close to Miramar Beach
25) Savannah, Georgia
Georgia’s oldest city Savannah enjoys temperatures of 46-54F in December, making it one of its coolest months which is ideal if you plan to spend a lot of time on your feet.
A popular reason to visit Savannah is for the antebellum architecture.
Many of the mansions in Georgia have been associated with plantations and enslaved people, so keep this in mind when learning more about the history and people of “Hostess City of the South”.
Things to do in Savannah
- Hit the shops under the Christmas lights at Broughton Street
- Watch the 40-lit-up vessels sail by during the Boat Parade
- Take a 2-hour riverboat cruise on the Savannah River
- Visit the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum
- Do the hop on/off Christmas trolley to Savannah’s top attractions
- Take a 2-hour tour of the US’s most haunted city
- Spent time in Forsyth Park and Fragrant Garden
- Visit the prettiest street in the city, Jones Street
- Learn about the Gullah-Geechee culture at Pin Point Museum
What to Eat in Savannah and Charleston (Below)
Popular Lowcountry food not to be missed includes:
- Fried green tomatoes – like the 90’s movie
- Shrimp and grits
If you are on a budget, consider Athens in Georgia, which features in our guide to the cheapest cities to visit in the US.
Where to Stay in Savannah
- For couples: Eliza Thompson House, Historic Inns of Savannah Collection (Expedia/Booking) romantic 4-poster bed
- For groups: Home at 1014, 5 bedrooms, balcony and pool table
26) Macon, Georgia
Macon is lesser-known than Georgia or Savannah but is put on the map come spring when it arrives for its incredible pop of cherry blossoms.
If 50,000 Yoshino cherry trees blossoming sounds like your kind of vacation, you can read about it in our guide to the best places to visit in the US in March.
Macon is milder than warm, but this is often a welcomed contrast to the muggy summer temperatures.
Temperatures start around 64F at the start of the month, decreasing to 58F by the end of the month.
Only an hour south of Atlanta, Macon holds everything from interesting museums and historic landmarks to local markets and festive activities.
Things to do in Macon
- Go ice-skating at Macon Coliseum
- See the Main Street Christmas Light Extravaganza
- Watch a holiday show at Macon Theater or Arts Gallery
- Visit Hay House this holiday, an Italian Renaissance Revival Style historical landmark
- Shop small at Macon independent stores
- America’s largest museum dedicated to educating people about the art, history and culture of African Americans, the Tubman Museum is a must-see.
- The Grand Opera House holds over a century of music-related history; today, you can see films, performances, entertainers, concerts, and more in this stunning building.
- Macon is home to several markets where you can get fresh, local produce and hand-crafted items like Mulberry Street Market and Wesleyan Market, or head to Smiley’s Flea Market, where you can find hidden treasure.
- Georgia Sports Hall of Fame – One of the largest sports museums in the country, the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame is over 43,000 square feet large with over 3,000 artifacts for you to see.
27) Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is a historic port city located in the south of the state.
Like Savannah, it is known for its antebellum architecture which can be found around the French Quarter and Battery districts.
Plan for lows of 46F and highs 61F.
Things to do in Charleston
- Holiday Festival of Lights at James Island County Park.
- Listen to music by the Charleston Caroling Company
- Be impressed by the Christmas decor at the Charleston Place, Belmond Hotel
- Enjoy the Historic District displays
- See the Ravenel Bridge
- Enjoy a ferry ride to Fort Sumter
- Be wowed at the Angel Oak Tree at Angel Oak Park
- Learn more about the Gullah people in Lowcountry at McLeod Plantation or Geechee Experience Tour
Where to Stay in Charleston
- For couples: Sleigh Bell Suite at the French Quarter Inn
- For couples: Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel beautifully decorated hotel, swimming pool
- For groups: Six-bed apartment with fully equipped kitchen
28) Beaufort, South Carolina
Beaufort, South Carolina, is close to both Savannah and Charleston, so you could actually make this trio into quite the warm USA December vacation!
While it’s a small town, Beaufort has been the setting for many popular films. Explore local history and film history.
Famous movies filmed here include Forrest Gump, and you can take a tour to see the locations.
Watersports fans enjoy Beaufort’s unique waterways for kayaking.
Hunting Island State Park is the best spot for beaches; it was voted one of the best in the US by TripAdvisor.
Expect lows of 43F and highs 62F.
Things to do in Beaufort
- Watch the Christmas parade
- 3-hour Old Beaufort heritage tour
- Consider the mansions and plantations in Beaufort for their antebellum architecture and complicated past
- Beach hop at Hunting Island State Park
- Visit the Kazoobie Kazoo Factory
Where to Stay in Beaufort
- For couples: The Beaufort Inn (Expedia/Booking): Large rooms, patio and courtyards
- For groups: 2-bed holiday home which sleeps up to 6, home from home
29) New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans: An omnipresent destination.
Whatever time of year, for whatever reason, New Orleans always seems to be the answer.
New Orleans is a perfect warm place to visit in December in the US because you avoid the crowds and prices of Mardi Gras, plus the heat and humidity of the summer.
The holidays are yet another reason locals decorate and dress the part, so enjoy the festivities and warm temperatures.
The city averages 64F in December.
Things to do in New Orleans in December
- Tour the festive hotel lobbies such as The Roosevelt and the Royal Sonesta
- See the Christmas tree at Hotel Mazarin in the French Quarter
- The Skeleton House on St Charles Av isn’t just for Hallowe’en! Check out its festive decor
- 10/10 for the crazy Kraken House at 6574 Memphis St
- Join locals at the holiday lights show, Celebration in the Oaks, which has been running since the 80s.
- Explore the festival of lights, art and technology at LUNA Fête
- Listen to jazz on Frenchmen Street
- Enjoy cocktails on Bourbon Street
- Do a riverboat cruise like this 2-hour tour with entertainment
- Spend the morning in the Garden District
- Learn about the darker side of NOLA
- Take a tour of the Whitney Plantation, which provides accounts from enslaved people
Our New Orleans Guides
What to Eat in NOLA
- Jambalaya – meat, vegetables and rice
- Po-boys sandwich
- Gumbo soup
What to Drink in NOLA
- Pat O’Brien’s Hurricane
- Tropical Isle’s Hand Grenades
- Sazerac cognac
Where to Stay in New Orleans
- For couples: Maison de la Luz (Expedia/Booking), tasteful decor and some rooms have free-standing bath
- For groups: Luxury townhouses which sleep up to 8 in each villa
30) Nashville, Tennessee
Nashville is the music capital of the world and is the perfect destination for fans of country and rock music.
The city has tons of historic sights and never-ending live music for everyone.
Nashville is the home of the historic Grand Ole Opry as well as the Country Music Hall of Fame.
With the Cumberland River running through the city there are plenty of natural areas and parks that are perfect for walking, hiking, and enjoying the great outdoors.
Temperatures in Nashville sit between 35 -60F throughout the winter months so you can expect a mild and crisp climate.
Things to do in Nashville
- See a show at The Grand Ole Opry
- Or take a backstage tour
- Check out Christmas at Gaylord Opryland
- Take a walk down Music Row
- Do some holiday shopping at Christmas Village
- Go for a hike at Warner Parks
- Learn something new at Nashville Adventure Science Center
- See the wildlife at Owl’s Hill Nature Sanctuary
Where to stay in Nashville
- For Couples: Hayes Street Hotel (Expedia/Booking)
- For Families: Homewood Suites by Hilton (Expedia/Booking)
31) Austin, Texas
But you should visit Austin, Texas in December for its plentiful cultural events around the holiday season.
There’s no shortage of festive events from ice-skating, light trails, parades and live music, it is Austin, the music capital of the world!
Austin temperatures are around 43F-63F.
Things to do in Austin
- Finish your holiday shopping at the Blue Genie Art Bazaar
- Kickstart the season with the Austin Holiday Stroll
- Follow the Trail of Lights in Zilker Park
- Watch Minor Mishap’s Winter Solstice Lantern Parade
- Or Chuy’s Holiday Parade.
- And, of course, eat allll the BBQ and tacos!
If this is your first time in the city, consider this 5 star intro tour.
You May Also Like Our Other Austin Guides
What to Eat in Texas
- Frito pie – chips and meat
- Tacos for breakfast
- Tex-Mex breakfast
- Food truck meals
- BBQ for days
- Craft beer
Austin also made it to the best cities to visit in December guide!
Where to Stay in Austin
- For couples: Fairmont Austin (Expedia/Booking), great location and rooftop pool
- For groups: 3-bed South Austin trendy house with AC
32) Lockhart, Texas
Prefer BBQ meat to turkey Christmas dinners?
Head to Lockhart, just 35 miles from Austin for the BBQ capital of Texas.
Temperatures range from 30F to 86F with sun and some clouds.
Things to do in Lockhart, Texas
- Eat smoked meat the family-run Blacks BBQ
- Check out Kreuz Market for more BBQ
- Or Smitty’s for even more meat, you get the idea – there’s a lot of BBQ here
- Wash it all down at Old Pal Texas Tavern
- Buy holiday gifts from local stores such as Lone Start Workshop
33) Fredericksburg, Texas
Fredericksburg is one of the best places to travel to in December if you miss Europe!
When you first enter this Texas Hill Country location you’ll ask yourself, have I driven to Germany?
Expect German cuisine on the menu and German beer in the bars.
Fredericksburg is also home to vineyards and craft wine cellar shops so there is plenty to be merry about when you visit in December.
Temperatures range from 59F to 64F so pack accordingly.
Things to do in Fredericksburg
- Pick up Christmas gifts on Main Street, Fredericksburg is an award-winning shopping town
- Listen to nightly carol singing which runs from the end of November to get you in the spirit of Weihnachtszeit
- Observe the nightly lighting of the Community Christmas Tree and German Christmas Pyramid
- Cheers ‘prost’ while tasting the local wine which you can get with dinner starting at $8 a glass
- Or do this wine tour where someone else does the driving
- Take part in a British-style Boxing Day party at one of the vineyards hosted by the Fredericksburg German Club
- Ring in the new year at the Albert, Texas Ice House & Dancehall NYE party
- Or get involved in the new year countdown at the Marktplatz
For more NYE US ideas, check out this guide.
Where to Stay in Fredericksburg
- Hotel Fredericksburg Inn and Suites: 5 mins from town, swimming pool, breakfast included
- Vineyard Trail Cottages: Adult-only, cottages with patio
34) Marfa, Texas
Marfa, Texas is one of Two Scots Abroad’s favorite places in Texas.
If you like art installations in the desert and exhibitions in ballrooms, then you might like this tiny community in West Texas too.
Wondering where you’ve heard about Marfa before?
Cast your mind back to The Simpson’s episode “Mad About the Toy” or every time a Vanderbilt took the elevator to your penthouse and passed the Prada Marfa sign in Gossip Girl!
That’s the same Marfa.
Oh and it didn’t hurt that both Knowles sisters have visited and posted about their trip on social media.
If you plan to visit, ensure you do so over a weekend, and the town is dead during the week.
Marfa December temperatures range from a toasty 76*F to freezing 21*F so pack accordingly.
Things to do in Marfa
- Shop small, shop local for your holiday shopping this year at Marfa’s independent stores
- Check out an exhibition at Ballroom Marfa
- Walk around the 15 Untitled Works in Concrete at Donald Judd’s Chinati Foundation
- Drive out to Prada Marfa, the faux Prada shop with real items in the window
- Try spot the Marfa Lights phenomena on route 67
Marfa Hotels with Parking
- Hotel Saint George (Expedia/Booking: Modern hotel with big rooms and seasonal pool
- Riata Inn – Marfa: Friendly staff, affordable and clean motel
Read our full guide to accommodation in Marfa here.
35) Big Bend National Park, Texas
If you dream of getting away from the city, office, working from home or hey, or even the family, a road trip out to Big Bend National Park could provide the solitude you need to prepare for a busy December or deflate after a manic month.
Big Bend is the 15th largest national park and it is very well organized.
The map that is allocated with your pass is easy to navigate, but if you do require further assistance, there are five visitor centers: Panther Junction, Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, Persimmon Gap and Castolon.
Big Bend’s December temperatures range wildly from a mild 63*F to freezing 39*F, and it gets very cold during the night, so invest in a high-quality sleeping bag if you are camping or staying in an RV.
Things to do at Big Bend National Park
- Explore the 201 miles of hiking trails, such as the Dog Canyon
- Get steamy at the Boquillas hot spring by the flowing River Grande
- Hop on a boat to Boquillas in Mexico; remember your passport – no joke!
- Stargaze at the black skies while you enjoy s’mores by the campfire
Big Bend also features in our guide to the best national parks to visit in March for the bluebonnets.
36) Terlingua, Texas
Terlingua is also known as Texas ‘Ghost Town’ referring to its mining past in the 1800s.
Before WWII, thousands of people made up the Terlingua community. Today there are less than 100.
Things to do in Terlingua
- Visit the mining ruins
- Dine at the Starlight Theatre
- People watch with a beer on the Starlight Theatre porch
- Stay in a wigwam
Where to Stay in Terlingua
- Resort Lajitas Golf Resort: Spa and swimming pool
- Lodge Terlingua Ranch Lodge: Private cabins and campsite
37) South Padre Island, Texas
South Padre Island in December boasts an average high of 71* F/22* C, making it a dreamy escape from the bitter cold up north.
Come to stroll on the sand, bask in the sunshine, and forget about those icy temps back home.
You’ll be in good company with all the other snowbirds (read: Not much in the way of nightlife, but you’ll certainly feel relaxed!).
Things to do in South Padre Island
- Swim at Laguna Madre Bay
- Enjoy the waterslides at Schlitterbahn Waterpark
- Eat tacos, nachos and ceviche
- Dine at Louie’s Backyard for all-you-can-eat ribs and seafood
- Check out Laguna BOB for seafood, burgers and a full bar at a laid-back waterfront deck
Where to Stay in South Padre
- For couples: Courtyard South Padre (Expedia/Booking), spacious rooms, fitness suite and swimming pool
- For families: Beachside condo which sleeps 6 with swimming pool
Read next | Best beach towns in Texas
38) San Antonio, Texas
The San Antonio Riverwalk is a popular destination year-round.
The holiday season it’s a wonderful time of year with average high temperatures at 64* F/18* C.
Learn about the fight for independence in Texas at The Alamo and check out the city views from HemisFair Park’s 750-ft. Tower of the Americas.
What about a warm winter vacation road trip featuring Austin and San Antonio?
Things to do in San Antonio
- Be wowed by Lightscape at San Antonio Botanical Gardens
- Then again at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Check out the Christmas tree and ice skate at Travel Park
- Walk along the famous Riverwalk or do a carol along from a boat!
- See more of the city on the hop on and off cruise
- Dine at one of the Riverwalk restaurants
- Enjoy a beer and festive lights at Pearl Brewery
- Eat s’mores and skate at Natural Bridge Caverns
- Learn about historical conflict at The Alamo, which is part of this UNESCo tour
- Shop at El Mercado in downtown
- Spend time in the Pearl District for independent shops and restaurants
- See the dinosaurs at Witte Museum on the Broadway Cultural Corridor
- Take a train ride through Brackenridge Park
- Shop at North Star Mall to see the huge cowboy boot sculpture
There’s a cool treehouse cabin in San Antonio which features in our guide to treehouse cabins in Texas!
Where to Stay in San Antonio
- For couples: Thompson San Antonio Riverwalk (Expedia/Booking), great location
- For groups: Huge house which sleeps up to 8
San Antonio also features in our guide to the best places to visit in January in the US, as that’s when the coffee festival and restaurant week kicks off, so if you like food, you might want to hang back a month!
39) Galveston Island, Texas
An under-the-radar destination for December, Galveston Island offers miles of lovely beaches to walk in very comfortable temperatures.
Even better? Galveston is known as the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas and offers more than 50 days of holiday events and activities!
If you love beaches, here’s a guide to the best beaches in Texas.
Things to do
- Beach hop between East Beach and Galveston Island State Park
- Use the world’s longest continuous sidewalk – walk or jog?
- Enjoy the rides at Pleasure Pier
- Get a selfie with the welcome mural
- See a show at The Grand 1894 Opera House
- Relax on the Lazy River at Palm Beach
Where to Stay at Galveston Island
- For couples: Hotel Galvez and Spa (Expedia/Booking) on Seawall Boulevard with heated pool
- For groups: Comfortable house with patio and BBQ
40) Tempe, Arizona
Tempe, an inner suburb of Phoenix, is enjoying a bit of a burst of popularity right now!
Visit Tempe for its historic downtown and focus on the arts.
The average December high temps of 68* F/20* C don’t hurt either!m
Things to do in Tempe
- Shop at Tempe Marketplace and Arizona Mills
- Tempe Fall Festival of the Arts displays over 350 local artist work
- Enjoy the light strung between Mill Avenue’s trees
- Reserve a ticket for the magical drive-through lights show
- Join the locals at the Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade
- Check out the decor at Peterson House
- See how the Sepaneks do decor at Sepanek’s Holiday Lights
- Watch the Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade at Tempe Town Lake from dry land
- If you’ve got a sweet tooth, you’ll love Candy Cane Lane at The District Stage
- Paddleboard, kayak or rent a swan boat at Tempe Town Lake
- Explore the 1500 acres of Papago Park
- Learn about the native communities in Arizona
What to Eat in Arizona
- Sonoran hot dog
- Ach’íí’ – a Native delicacy
- Mesquite flour pancakes or deserts
Image Credit – Tempe Touris
41) Phoenix, Arizona
Phoenix offers a unique place to visit in December in USA.
Despite the warmer temps (average highs of 66* F/19* C), there’s a downtown ice skating rink to enjoy!
You can’t miss visiting the Desert Botanical Garden for Las Noches de Las Luminarias.
More than 8,000 paper lanterns guide your way.
Phoenix has several outdoor trails, including the Hole In The Rock at Papago Park, which can be hiked a little easier during the cooler winter temperatures.
Also, look out for the many Hanukkah celebrations around the Valley.
Expect a lighting ceremony, live music and doughnuts.
Stay at the MOXY Phoenix for modern rooms at the reliable MOXY.
You can also check out our guide to free things to do in Phoenix, Arizona.
42) Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale lies east of Phoenix, less than 30 minutes drive making a fun day trip from the capital or a winter destination in its own right.
The desert temperatures of Scottsdale come in at around 37F-68F in December.
Things to do in Scottsdale
- Shop at the tastefully decorated Kierland Commons for upmarket holiday gifts
- Make new friends on the Scottsdale SantaCon Crawl
- Spend a night at Botanical Nights – Noches del Botánico for live music, lights, and plants
- Coach House dive bar for open air drinks among fairy lights
- See the beauty of Scottsdale from a hot air balloon with some festive fizz
Scottsdale also features in our guide to the best bachelorette destinations in the US.
43) Tucson, Arizona
Tucson really leans into the holiday spirit.
You can’t miss the Oro Valley Marketplace featuring local artisans and performers, plus an annual tree lighting ceremony.
It’s one of the biggest community arts festivals in southern Arizona.
Be prepared for dessert and snow if you choose Tucson for your winter vacation.
Temperatures are similar to Scottsdale.
Things to do in Tucson
- Enjoy Mexican food
- Take this Box Canyon and Pinal half-day ATV tour
- Check out the space crafts at Pima Air & Space Museum
- See the saguaro cactus in the Sonoran Desert
- Hike Douglas Spring Trailhead
- Ski at Mount Lemmon Ski Valley
- Dine at Monetary Court cafe
Where to Stay in Tucson
- For couples: Hotel Tucson City Center, Ascend Hotel Collection, clean rooms and big hotel
- For groups: Grand Hilltop House with incredible views over Tucson, 4 bedrooms, sleeps 8
44) Yuma, Arizona
Yuma, Arizona, is the sunniest location in the continental US in December.
If that’s not reason enough to visit, then check this: Yuma actually holds the Guinness World Record as the sunniest city…in the WORLD.
It was also named Arizona’s Best Historic Main Street Community, so you can enjoy learning local history and shopping along the quaint downtown.
45) San Diego, California
San Diego is just known for its perfect year-round climate with highs matching LA at 65F, a comfortable sightseeing temperature.
As a warm US December destination, it offers warmth, sunshine, beaches, history, and — to top it all off — it’s fairly budget-friendly for a big city!
You can find a full list of things to do in San Diego during the month in this guide.
Or if you’re on a budget chek out our list of free things to do in San Diego.
Things to do in San Diego
- Watch the San Diego Bay Parade of Lights
- Walk or drive through the many neighborhoods that go big on their holiday light displays (even timing them to music)
- Don’t miss the Gaslamp Pet Parade!
- Go to San Diego light show with the kids
- Tailgate at the Holiday Bowl
- Catch a viewing of Dr. Seuss’s How The Grinch Who Stole Christmas at Old Globe Theatre in Balboa Park
- Take in the 70 miles of coast – swim, surf or sunbathe?
- Enjoy a harbor cruise
- Cycle or run the 10 mile Mission Bay loop
- Take a road trip from Ocean Beach to Torrey Pines (one day)
Related | California bucket list items
What to Eat in California
- Açaí Bowl – Brazilian power food
- California burrito – asada (meat) and fries
- Sushi and sushirrito – sushi burrito
Where to Stay in San Diego
- For couples: SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront for incredible views and location
- For groups: 2-bed Ocean Beach apartment with ocean views
46) Palm Spring, California
Temperatures highs in Palm Springs are 72F and lows of 45F in December, but you have to pack for surprise rain with recordings of below-normal weather lately.
Palm Springs is one of the coolest places in California if you enjoy art and architecture.
Expect to meet at 6-ft (7.9-m) Marilyn Monroe to floating cars as you wander around town!
Things to do at Palm Springs
- Golf or admire the gardens at Sunnylands Center
- Enjoy the natural palm fans at Indian Canyons, once home to the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians
- Use the Palm Springs Tramway up Mount San Jacinto for great views
- Take a day trip to Pioneertown, created in the 1940s as a “Living Breathing Movie Set”
- Do a day tour to Joshua Tree National Park
Palm Springs is a dream trip for us!
47) Santa Monica, California
Visit Santa Monica for WinterLit during the holiday season.
Take photos with Santa (pets can do it, too!), go ice skating beachside, attend menorah lightings, and shop at the holiday market.
Average highs of 65F make it comfortable for moseying along to buy last-minute gifts.
Stay at the Sant Monia Hilton for lazy pool days chilling in a cabana.
48) Los Angeles, California
Visit Los Angeles in December for Disney, views, food and endless summer vibes.
The city is known for its glitz and glam year-round, but it steps up a notch for the holiday season.
It doesn’t hurt that the weather is lovely all year long. Great for outdoor strolls without having to bundle up against the cold!
Expect temperature highs of 66F.
Things to do in Los Angeles in December
- Watch the Newport Beach Boat Parade
- Get tickets to Walt Disney Concert Hall for festive events
- Get extra festive at Universal Studios Hollywood
- Enjoy the Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens.
- Visit the LA Auto Show
- Take a drive down Christmas Tree Lane in Altadena
- Go ice skating…yes, even in LA! (try out the LA Kings Holiday Rink)
- Revel in the winter wonderland that is Winter Fest OC.
Where to Stay in LA
- For couples and young friends: The Kinney (Expedia/Booking) for cool art and decor
- For groups: 4-bed villa in Beverley Hills, private pool and daily housekeeping, sleeps 10
Related | LA bucket list items
49) Death Valley National Park, California + Nevada
One of the hottest locations on Earth is finally manageable in winter.
Death Valley National Park in December reaches an average high of 65F, making it the perfect time to hike and explore this notorious region.
The park is partly in California and also in Nevada.
So, after hiking and getting your dose of outdoor adventure, it’s time to finish off December with an NYE party like no other…
Stay at The Inn at Death Valley for manicured grounds and stargazing.
Note: Death Valley became federally protected in 1994, after years of national monument status (1933).
However, Timbisha Shoshone People lived in Death Valley long before it was declared a national monument.
50) Las Vegas, Nevada
Ah, Vegas. The city where debauchery is ubiquitous and oxygen is pumped through buildings to make you forget time exists.
If that’s your thing, then hit Sin City to escape whatever winter woes befall you.
Note that Las Vegas isn’t the warmest of places to visit in December in USA (average highs are 57F), but you’re mostly indoors there anyway.
And it’s really a destination for New Year’s Eve extravaganzas!
Dress to impress and leave time in early January for recovery.
Things to do in Vegas
- Check out the Christmas trees – they will be extra
- See the holiday display at Bellagio’s Conservatory & Botanical Gardens
- Festivities at the second most famous street in Vegas, Fremont Street
- Be wowed by the famous Bellagio Fountains Light show to Xmas tunes
- Visit the Magical Forest with the kids
- Do the nighttime helicopter tour for a birds eye view
- See the Sphere from the outside, it’s free!
- Enjoy an all-day buffet on Xmas day
- Join in the Great Santa Run
- See a festive live show
- Hit the slots
- See the sign
Where to Stay
You May Also Like
Bonus Warm December Destinations in the US
Don’t forget the US has other islands!
While these islands aren’t full states, they are US territories. If you’re not a US-passport holder, you’ll most likely follow the same visa entry rules.
Not having statehood is a major issue for residents’ voting rights and representation.
You can learn more about the legal background here or listen to John Oliver’s more lighthearted take on the issue:
51) Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico is an ideal December US destination if you seek warmth, sunshine, beaches, history, culture, and more.
The holiday season is particularly special in Old San Juan. Be sure to visit for the parrandas, which grow into big street parties.
Extra bonus: Puerto Rico is still recovering from the devastating hurricanes of recent years.
Putting our tourism dollars where they make the biggest, most positive impact is the least we can all do as tourists.
Puerto Rico rarely falls below 80F, making it one of the warmest places in US in December.
52) St Croix, US Virgin Islands
The largest of the US Virgin Islands (USVI), St Croix boasts an interesting cultural blend and multi-layered history.
Enjoy the beaches, blow bubbles underwater, and come back home with a tan to tide you over until summer.
St Croix also features in our guide to the best islands to visit in December.
53) St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
St Thomas is the most popular of the USVI, with too many cruise ships regularly visiting.
But, if you can get away from those busy spots and overwhelming crowds, this island offers ample amenities alongside stunning natural beauty.
54) St John, US Virgin Islands
St John is the smallest of the three USVI.
You must go through St Thomas to get here, but it’s absolutely worth the journey.
Enjoy snorkeling and relaxing on white-sand beaches or walking through the lush, tropical jungle along hiking trails.
St John is perfect for a relaxing warm December USA getaway in the sunny Caribbean.
USVI average high temperatures are 86F for a proper tropical island getaway!
Warm Vacation in US Packing List
- Aloe vera coolng gel
- Mosquito repellent bracelets
- Cool cup with spores for beach
- Electrolyte hydration powder
- Large sandproof beach towel
- Universal cellphone waterproof pouch
- Large hanging travel toiletry bag
- Backseat organizer if road tripping – check out this guide for more essential car/RV gear
Save this post to your USA planning board
Have I missed your favorite warm Winter destination in the US? Tell me in the comments.