Dilemma: you are taking a travel trip with a purpose. There is that business meeting in NYC, a wedding in Santorini or a date trip with the other half and you need to trade your boardies for the best travel pants. I (Craig) don’t believe we are one type of travel fan. At different times in our lives (or even a year), our reasons for travel differ and sometimes we need to look business even if we feel backpacker, so here is a guide to the best travel pants for men online has to offer with tips on what to look for before purchasing too.
Best Mens Travel Pants Overview
Choosing Your Travel Trousers
When deciding which pants are the best fit (boom boom) you may want to consider the following specifications.
Can the mens travel trousers fold or roll away neatly into small cabin bags or busy backpacks for days on end without resembling the skin of a Shar-Pei?
Materials such as wools, nylon and polyester tend to come out on top for crushability ratings.
Gemma’s uncle has to change his suit twice a day on business trips to Saudi Arabia.
He needs this travel trousers review. We need our ‘trews to let our hairy bods breathe in warmer climates yet keep off the chill in colder.
The storage category is two-fold. Can the backpacking pants be packed (see crushability) and does it have pockets?
There is an increasing trend for designers to add internal and hidden pockets for essentials such as passports and currency to help ward off opportunists.
My friend is just back from Paris, there’s this scam where entertainers ask tourists to guess which cup the item is under while thieves rifle through bystanders pockets and bags – don’t be a fool!
Finally, now that our phones resemble iPads we need these pockets to be big, Mary Poppins style.
This category covers the feel of the travel trousers on your body as well as the ability to carry them and keep to luggage restrictions; it’s not only the budget airlines that are cracking down now. If they are lightweight, it’s an excuse to pack two different colours.
Waterproof yet quick dry
Ever tried to dry your everyday threads on a bed and breakfast radiator after a Scottish downpour?
Since many of our trips involve one-night stops the pants needs to keep the rain off but dry quickly with minimum support.
No one wants to bag wet clothes (hello damp smell) or put on clammy outdoor trousers so quick-dry pants are worth the investment.
Hey good lookin’
Finally, and most importantly, our new travel pants need to make us look and feel good.
Especially when your other half is Instagram obsessed.
Versatile colours that can match nicely with the limited clothes you can pack in a bag are a big win.
So now we know how hard it is to find the best travel pants let’s put the top seven through the wringer.
Travel Pants Review 2019
Convertible Travel Pants
The following travel pants have a split personality – turning from full length to shorts in less than two minutes flat.
Avid travellers and adventure lovers will appreciate how versatile these converter travel pants are.
Convertible pants don’t have to be ugly just because they are practical!
Columbia Silver Ridge
These stylish straight-legged Columbia Silver Ridges are 100% nylon travel trousers and have a lot to offer.
- Side cargo pocket
- Quick-dry (Omni-wick material)
- UPF factor 50 material (Omni-shade)
- Zip-off above the knee (stylish, not frumpy)
- Right/left identified for ease while attaching
- Functional pants
- Advised to order one size bigger
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia's Silver Ridge Convertible Pant features Omni-Shade UPF 50 fabric for maxium protection against the sun and Omni-Wick technology that pulls moisture away to keep you cool and dry.
- HANDY FEATURES: This men's durable convertible pant features one zip-closure security pocket, side pockets with hook and loop closure, and mesh pocket bags for ultimate convenience and efficiency.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This men's convertible pant features a partial elastic waist, gusset detail, and zip-off legs for the ultimate comfortability.
- CLASSIC FIT: This pant is crafted of a classic fit for ultimate comfortability while active days outside.
- Columbia's men's Silver Ridge Covertible Pant features sun protection and quick-wicking fabric with multiple pockets and zip-off legs making them the perfect pant for active days in the sun.
White Sierra PointWhite Sierra has been making travel pants since the 1970s and is a trusted family-run brand.
The Sierra Point zip-off action will keep you cool in warmer climates. 100% nylon material.
- Quick-dry woven nylon
- Teflon fabric protection
- 10″ inseam shorts measurement
- UPF factor 30 sun protection
- Pockets galore – 2 front, 2 cargo, 1 ‘rip + stick’ back pocket
- Beige colour not to every man’s tastes (other colours available)
- Not as attractive as the Columbia Silver Ridge above
- UPF sun protection fabric reduces your exposure to harmful UVA/UVB radiation
- Water repellent fabric
- Travel friendly
- Convertible pant - zip off legs
- Comfort fit side elastic waist
Best Chinos Pants
A step up from the safari look, these pants are suave and more suitable for dinner dates and business meetings.
When it comes to best men’s dress pants these are my personal choice because they are stylish yet practical combining the best of above-mentioned pants.
Bluffworks comes is a variety of six colours (charcoal, harvest gold, steel blue, navy blue, khaki and stone) which you can mix and match with the suit jacket.
There’s also a choice of two fits ‘regular $98’ and ‘chino $125’ (I’m sporting steel blue chinos below). These Bluffworks really are comfortable pants for travel.
Bluffworks men’s pant’s zipper pockets are perfect for keeping personal items close and protected.
Discreet zips can be found on one bottom pocket and one side pocket.
The opposite open side pocket has an internal zip which is flush with the body.
Bluffworks are expanding their travel range, they now have a quilted travel vest which is stylish yet practical for storing your belongings. Don’t believe me? Read our review here. For me, Bluffworks does the best travel clothes for men on the market at present.
- Quick-dry nylon
- Machine washable
- Lightweight 5.31 oz.
- Extremely good looking
- Cleverly hidden pockets
- Pockets big enough for a phone
- Delivers worldwide
- I like my suits super skinny so tailored to create an even slimmer fit look (I am very slim, not by choice!)
- Not on Amazon – buy direct (I’m a cheerleader)
Rainer Travel Chino
UNIONBAY men’s Rainer chino pants are lightweight and look great.
Popular, so often difficult to find, the Rainer pants are dual-purpose chinos – they look nice so work for smart travel gear but also work as active pants.
They are water-resistant and quick drying so ideal for those hiking and moving on between trips quickly. Made from 94% nylon and 6 % spandex.
- UPF 50
- Big fit
- Sell out quickly
- Stretch, lightweight, quick drying fabric for comfort and east of movement
- Stretch fabric is quick drying, water resistant and UPF 50
- Mesh lined pockets 1 side leg pocket with zip closure zip back pockets
Men’s Hiking Pants
From Tarzan to trekking, the following robust action pants are tough so suitable for many terrains.
Smart yet sturdy, Craghoppers is a well-known brand, trusted by many internationally when it comes to hiking pants for men.
The Classic Kiwi has nine pockets, five of which have zips and one big enough for a map for those who are looking for quality men’s hiking pants.
The Kiwi comes with a belt and is made of 65% polyester, 35% cotton.
- Best selling Craghoppers range
- Water repellent
- SolarShield fabric (UPF50)
- 9 pockets
- Not waterproof
These Free Soldier trousers are sturdy but also stylish.
Made with 100% breathable nylon and comes in 4 colours (green, black, grey, mud)
- Rip-stock fabric
- Stretch waist adds 2 inches
- 6 pockets (hand, zipper, and back)
- Waterproof Teflon coated material
- Lightweight travel cargo pants
- Colour can vary from that advertised
- Limited reviews
- Material - 35% Cotton and 65% Ripstop Polyester fabric with Great Water Repellent treatment keep you dry all day long. DuPont TEFLON Coating repel the stains, liquids and soil. This work pants for men feature breathable, scratch-resistant, wear-resisting, water resistant, durable, anti-wrinkle, anti-fading, comfortable and flexible.
- Multi-Pockets - This men's cargo pants up to 10+ pockets for store various equipment. 2 front Slant Pockets, 2 large Hook&Loop Pockets and 2 hip Flap Hook&Loop Pockets, it's convenient for carrying phone, wallet and other daily necessities, safe and reliable, 2 military EDC Pockets on each side of the thigh perfect for a tactical pen. No matter outdoor adventure, working, hiking or combat, this pant is built for versatility and extra storage.
- Ergonomic Design - The articulating knees are designed with 12 pleats to improves the comfort and flexibility of the knee at wide range of movement and enhance the wear resistance and scratch-resistant of the knee. The hiking pants are ergonomically designed, hips and legs with 3D tailoring, fits better and make your body feel free.
- Upgrade Details - Partial Elastic at waist with widen belt loop for extra comfort. YKK Zipper closure, much practical and effectively avoid the embarrassment. Duraflex D-ring, can hang keys chain and tactical accessories.
- FREE SOLDIER tactical pants apply to heavy duty operating, tactical, cycling, motorcycle, military, combat, hunting, fishing, climbing, hiking, working, outdoor adventure etc.
PrAna Stretch ZionPrAna Stretch Zion is a popular hiking pants. Prone to getting hot around the boys?
PrAna offers a ventilated inseam gusset. You read that right. Made from 97% Nylon and 3% Spandex so scratch durable yet flexible.
- Ventilation around the privates
- Roll-up leg snaps
- Cargo pocket
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Variety of colours
- Not quite streamline if that’s your look
- THE ROLL-UP PANT: The Stretch Zion Pant takes every adventure head-on; Made with our original Stretch Zion fabric and featuring roll-up leg snaps, you can tackle the crag and have beers after too
- CASUAL STYLE: Rugged, simple design in neutral colors that pair well with anything; Features an adjustable waistband, ventilated inseam gusset and an angled dual-entry cargo pocket
- WATER REPELLENT: Quick-dry Stretch Zion woven fabric, a durable water repellent (DWR) finish and UPF 50+ protection keep you cool and dry on sunny days
- DURABLE FABRIC: These adventure-ready pants are abrasion-resistant, making them a great choice for climbing, bouldering or any outdoor activity
- STANDARD FIT: Pants that feel as good as they look; Available in 5 inseam lengths: 28 in (11.0 cm), 30 in (11.8 cm), 32 in (12.6 cm), 34 in (13.4 cm) and 36 in (14.2 cm)
Best Comfortable Pants
Long haul flights or overnight bus journeys are not comfortable in the majority of travel pants so that’s where casual pants are recommended.
Not quite jogging pants because jogging pants would be too heavy for travel, the PrAna is a lightweight alternative that does not skimp on comfort. Ideal flight pants for international travel.
The Sutra pant is made from a mix of hemp, recycled polyester and spandex. The waist is held up by a drawstring and the pants come in a variety of colours.
- UPF 50+
- Variety of colours
- Drawstring belt not for everyone
- Sutra hemp/recycled polyester blend stretch woven
- Natural quick dry and odor reducing features
- UPF 50+
- Inseam gusset
- Welt front pockets
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best men’s pants to wear on a long flight
PrAna’s pants are the most comfortable pants suitable for long-haul flights as well as overnight bus journeys and long road trips.
What are the best travel pants for hot weather?
It is advisable to go for a convertible pant if you are visiting warm climates. That way you can have the best of both worlds – long trousers for night and shorts for day wear/hiking.
- Which are the best travel pants for Europe?
Personally, I think Bluffworks travel pants are the top choice for a trip to Europe. They are classy enough for an evening at the opera in Vienna yet casual too, you wouldn’t look out of place at a sports game.
- What are the best pants for RTW travel?
Convertibles! Columbia Silver Ridges as an example.
At present, there is a huge variety of pants to suit every budget which this review has detailed from men’s walking trousers to the best backpacking pants. Whether you are bird watching on safari or at Dublin’s Temple Bar there is a type of travel pants for every male traveller.