Table of Contents
This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
If you are planning to make space and making money these car boot sale tips will aid you to car boot sale success! I am a super saver, a stereotypical tight Scot who likes to save every penny and travel the world. For whatever reason you are selling your stuff, this article will outline what sells, what doesn’t, and what to take.
For a rundown of my first car boot sale experience read here. For tips on how to save to travel car boot style stay here…
The Highs Of Car Boot Sales
The people and rush. The nice lady behind us said it was addictive. We could see why. A wee boy was so chuffed at getting an Xbox game, made my day. The three Norwegian men collectively buying a soft porn calendar for £2. The wee elderly woman buying central heating cleaner for £3 after bartering me down from £5 then coming back at closing time to try and get the two other tubs for £1 each. We’re convinced she doesn’t even know what it is.
The Lows of Car Boot Sales
People really want things for cheap cheap cheap. I mean you say £2 for an item and they will try and get it for £1. Biggest sale was a TV for a fiver. A man came around asking how much for DVDs and games, he told me he sold his games for £3.50, if I didn’t shift them to go and see him at the end. I went for a wander and turns out his games are all individually priced, some at £8. People are friendly but you need to be sensible.
Car Boot Sale Packing Guide
- Pasting table packed last (or hire)
- Take clothes rails if you can (or hire), others had clothes horses
- Lots of hangers
- Plastic bags (now 5p in Scotland)
- Use boxes as displays – this worked well for DVDs
- Sellotope came in handy
- Marker pen (wish I had this to write out DVD offer)
- Bumbag/bag with float
- Chat – some customers just want a wee conversation
- DVDs – I went for £1 a film then 6 for £5 (no one went for this)
- Xbox games – £5 or £3 depending on what/who
- Clothes, Shelley sold more than me
- Electronics (Ipod radio; photo frame; TV; Ipod doc)
- Mirrors and pictures in frames (Shelley)
What didn’t sell?
- TV Boxsets (but I’ll hang fire on that one) <– eventually sold to Magpie.com
- Comedy DVDs
- Clothes over £3
Car Boot Sale Tips
I would definitely recommend doing it. We plan to go again in February just before I leave (we met a seller, girl going to Oz, who sold everything last February, she was disappointed in her sales today). We picked this weekend as it was the post payday weekend and end of summer, turns out October is a hot month.
Super Saving Articles
I’m a super saver! Here are more tips on how to save for travel, weddings, rainy days.
- Car Boot Sale – The Experience
- The 5 S’s of Saving
- Best Credit Cards for Travel – For Brits!
- Cheeky Cheap Gift Guide
What tips do you have to help us save?